Menu



April 30, 2011

a part of my country [a part of who i am]

Hello dear followers !
I told you a few words about my one week trip to Maramures, but I didn't get the chance to show you photos. I go there cca. 2 months per year , in my vacations because Barsana is my grandparents' village. I adore that region and I always find a lot of inspiration there.
Therefore, as it has become a part of who I am, I would like to show you more :)
***
Maramureş is a geographical, historical and ethno-cultural region in northeastern Carpathians , along the upper Tisza River ; it covers the Maramureş Depression and the surrounding Carpathian mountains. Bârsana is a commune in Maramures County. As of 2002, it had 6,352 inhabitants, 86.7% were Romanian Orthodox, 7.8% Greek-Catholic and 3.1% Pentecostal.
Mabye this datas don't help you at all, but I tought it would be a good ideea to start with them. Now, here are some photos taken by me and my cousin and some found on deviantart :
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
We have to wear our traditional costumes when we go to Church. The skirt is called "sumnă", the shirt is called "cămeşă" and the scarf is called "pânzătură". The boys' costumes are a bit different as they wear the same cămeşă (but in a more simple way), a vest which is called "tieptar" and the hat is a "clop".
And every single item is handmade !
Photobucket
This is a part of the gorgeous Barsana Monastery in the village. I adore the place, for me is Heaven on Earth.
Photobucket
When we cannot go to the Monastery, we attend the local Orthodox Church.
Photobucket
A stunning landscape with the Iza river . ( i remember i used to have a lot of fun with friends from my childhood there)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
More photos with me and my friends from last Sunday.
Do you have such traditional costumes ? Do you wear them often?
And, I couldn't finish this post without some true romanian music from Maramures.
You MUST LISTEN to this song is you want to feel like an authentic romanian.
until next time, love love love

18 comments:

  1. it's so great that you still keep traditions and wear the costumes and all! it's probably the only part of the country that still respects this.
    and you look so cute in the costume! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a beautiful photos and culture, it makes me want visit ur country :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it is so beautiful there!! Dreamy!

    Love you in the traditional costume!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the traditional costumes, very pretty! And the landscape and the church looks like a postcard! Such a wonderful place and this is the first time I heard about it! Thank you for sharing! xoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing photos dear :)

    http://www.hsquaredfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow beautiful pictures! I hope I can visit your country some day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like folk! too original! great! www.thegingerale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I love your skrits, so cute xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW. Sunt absolut SUPERBE pozele...si este de admirat faptul ca purtati costumele traditionale, eu de cate ori am mers la manastirile din Moldova (asta insemnand de fiecare data de Pasti la Voronet, Moldovita, etc.) nu pot sa spun ca am vazut lumea purtand costume.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow!



    http://oppositelipstick.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pictures!

    xoxo
    www.afashionhouseofcards.blogspot.com
    New updates online! come check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These pictures are so beautiful, the landscape is like a postcard! And I LOVE the traditional costumes, the lace sleeves are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ma bucur atat de mult ca ai pus pozele astea asa de frumoase pe blog. Din pacate au mai ramas putine zone in care se mai pastreaza traditia romaneasca, iar costumele sunt uimitoare asa ca e pacat sa nu le cunoasca cat mai multa lume. Felicitari!

    PS: Plicul l-am cumparat anul trecut cred :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. been there a few years ago and i was amazed by those places! so glad i got to see their beautiful costumes, too!
    thanks for sharing these photos, brought back the memories:)

    ReplyDelete

You can write me in : română / english / français / español ! ♥